How about getting a high-quality sewing machine for under $500? With so many options on the market, deciding on the best budget-friendly portable sewing machine is tricky.
Stitching and sewing is an exciting and valuable skill that helps you create fabric crafts, pillows, quilts, bags, and dresses.
The good news is – yes, you can get the best quilting sewing machine under $500. But with so many models and features to consider at this price point, how do you know which one is right for you? Will a cheaper machine result in sacrificing quality and reliability?
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the detailed pros and cons, features, and performance of some of the best sewing machines under 500.
Compare the 13 Best Sewing Machines Under 500 Dollars
With so many options for high-quality sewing machines under $500, picking the right one can take time and effort. Therefore, this comparison table summarizes the key features, pros, and cons of our top picks.
Thus, it helps you compare and select the best portable sewing machine under $500 for your sewing and quilting projects.
|SINGER 9960||Best For Beginners And High-Quality Stitching||4.6/5|
|Singer 9985||Best Portable Sewing Machine With LCD Display||4.6/5|
|Brother ST150HDH||Best Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine||4.7/5|
|Janome JW8100||Fully-Featured Computerised Sewing Machine||4,7/5|
|Brother XR9550||Best For Beginners Sewing Machine under 500||4.7/5|
|Brother CP100x||Best For Free Motion Quilting||4.7/5|
|Singer 4423||Best Multi-Fabric Sewing Machine Under 500||4.6/5|
|Singer 4432||Best Mechanical Sewing Machine For Home Use||4.6/5|
|Singer 4452||Best For Fast Stitching on All Fabrics||4.7/5|
|Brother Gx37||Best For Simple And Quick Sewing Projects||4.6/5|
|Brother CS5055||Best Computerized Sewing Machine For Beginners||4.6/5|
|Singer Mx231||Best Portable Sewing Machine For Basic Stitching||4.5/5|
|Singer M3500||Best Budget-Friendly Sewing Machine For Beginners||4.5/5|
Best Sewing Machines Under 500 – Reviewed and Tested
Several professional sewing machines are available for under $500 that can meet the needs of everyone, from beginners to experienced sewers.
In this section, we review some of the top options that provide great features and performance at an affordable price point.
1. SINGER 9960 ( Best For Beginners And High-Quality Stitching)
If you are a beginner in the sewing world, SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing and quilting machine is the one for you. Generally, it’s a cost-effective best quilting sewing machine under $500 that offers you high-quality stitching.
Additionally, it offers many automated features, 600 built-in stitches, and perfect fonts to add decorative elements to your projects.
Like most professional sewing machines, the stitch length and width of Singer 9960 are automatically adjusted when you change to another stitch.
At the same time, it also displays which presser foot is recommended for the type of stitch. Furthermore, the sewing machine has a set of presser feet in the removable sewing compartment.
Additional features that you will find are the bobbin winding system, self-automated needle threader and cutter, speed control button, needle up and down, backstitch, and even “autopilot sewing.” Notably, it can also sew heavy fabric like denim and leather.
Features of SINGER 9960
- Built-in stitches: There are 1,172 stitch applications, five alphanumeric fonts, and 13 1-step buttonholes for you to choose from.
- Easy threading: Threading is automatic with a built-in needle threader and thread cutter.
- Stitches options: Select basic, stretch, or decorative stitches on the LCD screen.
- Simple touch buttonhole
- Control speed capacity
- Smaller throat
- Confusing user manual
Why you should buy it?
We recommend the Singer 9960 sewing machine for beginners and experienced sewers due to its many built-in stitching features and fonts.
However, these sewing customization options are easy to use yet advanced. Also, handy auto thread cutter and needle threading save you time so you can focus on your designs.
2. Singer 9985 (Best Portable Sewing Machine With LCD Display)
Singer Quantum Stylist 9985 is an intuitive computerized sewing machine that offers multiple creative stitches. In addition, you may find 960+ built-in stitches and personalized fonts for a wide variety of crafting work and quilting.
Moreover, it is a high-quality, lightweight machine you can get at an affordable price. However, this portable sewing machine also has a large color touch LCD. With this, you will see the stitch type, width, length, tension of the thread, and the appropriate presser foot selection.
Besides the widescreen, Singer 9985 has a wide array of automatic functions for different threading designs. Moreover, this quilting machine has a built-in needle threader, mirror imaging, an elongation function for editing your stitches, and a reference chart. Also, it includes 13 types of presser feet in its compartment box.
Features of SINGER 9985
- Built-in stitches: You can select from 960+ built-in Stitches, 6 Alphanumeric Fonts, and 13 built-in 1-step buttonholes with an exclusive underplate.
- Edit control: You can mirror the selected stitches and enlarge them two to five times.
- Auto-threading: Automatic needle threader and cutter.
- User-friendly accessories
- Huge LCD screen.
- Automatic touch buttonhole
- Breakable covering
- No quilting tray
Why you should buy it?
Singer 9985 is the best portable sewing machine under 500 that is simple to use right out of the box. Not only can you set it up in minutes, but the quality and ease of this machine can even make hard-looking projects feasible to produce. Also, with many stitch options, you can bring your creative skills into action.
3. Brother ST150HDH (Best Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine)
Brother ST150HDH is the best heavy-duty sewing machine that can sew on a variety of cloth stuff, from heavyweight, thick fabric like denim to lightweight silk. Moreover, it comes with 50 built-in stitches that include different design options.
Additionally, there is a 7-point feed dog option that helps feed fabric smoothly and stitch precisely. Likewise, the feed dog in the center holds the thread while the ones on the sides grab the fabric.
Furthermore, there are plenty of other features that you need to make this machine easy to use, especially for beginners. These features include an auto-bobbin winding system, advanced needle threader, smooth fabric feeding, heavyweight needles, and 9 sewing feet.
- Built-in stitches: This machine offers 50 built-in standard and decorative stitches that include 5 auto-size buttonholes.
- Black-lit LCD screen: Allows you to adjust stitch type, length, and width and shows the recommended presser foot.
- Advanced needle threader and auto-bobbin: Uses a lever to push the thread through the needle and has an automatic bobbin winder on the top.
- Twin needle option
- Can stitch a variety of fabrics
- Speed control
- Stitch options not displayed
- Difficult to carry
Why you should buy it?
Buying a Brother ST150HDH sewing machine is an excellent option as it allows you to sew various fabrics, like thick denim, leather, and even soft silk. Moreover, it has a unique twin-needle option, making it simple to set up and use. Also, the long-fed dog is the highlight of this sewing machine.
4. Janome JW8100 (Fully-Featured Computerised Sewing Machine)
The Janome JW8100 is a computerized sewing machine with 100 built-in stitches that give you a wide range of sewing and quilting experience, especially for newbies. Even though it is lightweight, it is strongly built and comes with an extension table, making perfect room for quilting.
Considering the reasonable price, this sewing machine offers various stitch options for quick and easy work. Moreover, it comes with a hardcover that makes it handy when carrying it to your workplace.
Although this portable sewing machine has some shortcomings, as it is not fully automatic, it gives a precise and accurate finish to your projects. Notably, it has multiple useful features like a start/Stop button, speed control, reverse lever, and many versatile stitching options.
Features of Janome JW8100
- Auto-declutch bobbin winder: The bobbin winder automatically stops when it is full.
- Manual thread tension control: You can set the tension of the thread by easy dialing according to the type of fabric you are using.
- Built-in stitches: There is a variety to choose from 100 built-in stitches with 7 buttonholes and 22 standard accessories included.
- Handy extension table
- Smooth fabric feed
- Easy to set and use
- No automatic thread cutter
- No quilting foot or free-motion foot
Why you should buy it?
Jenome JW8100 is the best sewing machine under 500 dollars for those looking for an all-purpose computerized sewing machine. Also, it comes with an extension table where you can carry out large projects easily, like quilting.
Moreover, at a reasonable price, this offers a variety of stitch options without compromising the quality of the products produced.
5. Brother XR9550 (Best For Beginners Sewing Machine under 500)
The Brother XR9550 sewing machine is ideal if you are looking for a high-quality sewing machine to begin with. Furthermore, this professional sewing machine is simple, user-friendly, and of great quality for creative stitching and quilting.
Additionally, Brother’s computerized quilting machine has 165 unique built-in stitches for different decorative and unique embroidery options.
Besides the refined and detailed layout of this XR9550 sewing machine, you will find all the stitch designs displayed on it. Along with these built-in stitches, the convenience buttons on the best sewing machine under 500 dollars help you with quick and easy project handling.
Plus, it comes with many accessories, like an extended table for large projects, quilting & sewing presser feet, an auto-needle threader, and a drop-in top bobbin. There is also a speed controller and a start/stop button to simplify operation.
Features of Brother XR9550
- LCD screen: This feature allows you to choose the type of stitch you want and set it up accordingly.
- Built-in stitches: Options are plenty with 165 stitches, including 8 styles of auto-size buttonholes, plus 55 alphanumeric sewing stitches.
- Auto-threader: Quick threading is possible with this automatic needle threader feature this machine offers.
- Good zigzag stitching
- Free-foot sewing feature
- Incompatible with light fabrics
- Subpar bobbin winding
Why you should buy it?
We recommend this high-quality Brother XR9550 quilting machine if you are in a learning phase and want to explore your sewing skills. Likewise, this computerized sewing machine offers a convenient setup, stitch choices, buttonholes, and zippers. Overall, it is a good, affordable machine for at-home project-makers.
6. Brother CP100x (Best For Free Motion Quilting)
Nothing better than exploring the best sewing experience, so the Brother CP100X quilting machine is the perfect option for you. Notably, this best sewing machine for free motion quilting is fully automatic and has 100 built-in stitching options to bring versatility to your sewing projects.
Moreover, it is an excellent multi-quality computerized machine that fits your budget perfectly.
Like many other sewing machines, Brother CP100X has many automated features for stitch adjustment, threading, and a large workspace. All these features are easy to understand and make you use this portable sewing machine immediately.
Moreover, there are many useful accessories, too, like a stitch chart, different presser feet, a wide table, an auto-needle threader, and a drop-in top bobbin. You even get measured guide marks so you know where to sew.
Features of Brother CP100X
- Durable metal frame: Your machine will handle thick denim and heavy quilting with ease.
- Fixed needle bar: The needle is fixed in place while you work, allowing for better stitching and equal lines.
- Needle threader: The threading system is improved and automated.
- High-quality stitching
- Extended table for large projects
- Fragile machine
- No quilting feet and built-in stitching
Why you should buy it?
No matter the skill level you are, like a beginner and experienced sewer, Brother CP100X is the best portable sewing machine under 500 to assist you throughout. Additionally, the setup and stitching functions are quite easy and understandable. Furthermore, it comes with a handy wide table to make room for bigger projects.
7. Singer 4423 (Best Multi-Fabric Sewing Machine Under 500)
Whether you want to create any home accessories or simple stitching, the Singer heavy duty 4423 can be your primary go-to sewing machine. Moreover, it is the best sewing machine under 500 that can sew thick fabrics like jeans or leather and lightweight stuff. You can select from basic stretch to even decorative stitches, as well as an automatic 1-step buttonhole.
Also, this sewing machine comes with setting dials for adjusting the stitch length and one dial for selecting the stitch type. Additionally, its auto-needle threader is the biggest timesaver, and threading directions are also given to start with your creative work quickly.
Generally, there are lots of regular features in this professional sewing machine, including reverse stitch, needle positioning, tension dial, separate width dial, and bobbin winder. Notably, regarding which sewing machine is best for home use, SINGER 4432 is an affordable, fine-working machine.
Features of SINGER 4423
- Stitch selector: You can choose 97 stitch applications from the stitch selector dial for easy customization, including four presser feet.
- Easy built-in threader: Without effort, auto-thread your needle for a quick start.
- Enhanced power and speed: Strong motor offers power for sewing thick layer fabrics and can sew at a speed of 1,100 stitches per minute.
- High-speed sewing
- Multi-fabric sewing
- Sensitive foot pedal
- No hard case or manual included
Why you should buy it?
Invest in a Singer 4423 sewing machine to do your daily stitch work. Furthermore, this computerized sewing machine combines super speedy stitching, a good range of built-in stitches, and quality design. All these features for a fair price are a great deal.
8. Singer 4432 (Best Mechanical Sewing Machine For Home Use)
When it’s time to upgrade your sewing machine, get the Singer 4432 best heavy duty sewing machine. Generally, this is a simple manual mechanical model with 32 built-in stitches and many additional accessories.
Moreover, you can create your fashion with trendy crafts, cozy home textiles, or personalized giftware that makes sewing easy and fun.
Furthermore, using this mechanical sewing machine, you can sew all types and weights of fabric easily, including denim, leather, silk, canvas, fleece, or synthetics. Additionally, it has plenty of added features for working on hems and fine fabric.
Additionally, you can stitch anything quickly with the machine’s enhanced piercing power and speed. Not only this, but it also has an adjustable length and width dial, auto-needle threader, bobbin winder, needle positioning, automatic 1-step buttonhole, and drop-in top bobbin.
Features of SINGER Heavy Duty 4432
- Built-in stitches: 110 stitch applications that offer basic, stretch, and decorative stitches.
- Easy threading: Automatic needle threader saves time to begin sewing quickly.
- Adjustable dials: The length, width, and tension dials can be easily used to customize your stitching.
- Fast stitching speed
- Easy understanding and usage
- Handy diagrams
- No light available
- One buttonhole option
Why you should buy it?
Consider the Singer 4432 the best quilting sewing machine under $500, as it is the handy and the best heavy duty sewing machine for newbies and intermediate sewers. Also, it has simple-to-understand features and functions, and you can right away start with your project without much effort. Moreover, this sewing machine is durable and fast, a quality product for a good price, too.
9. Singer 4452 (Best For Fast Stitching on All Fabrics)
The Singer 4452 is the perfect sewing machine for beginners and experienced sewers who want a simple-to-use, high-quality machine. Further, this computerized sewing machine offers many basic built-in stitches and accessories to help sew thick fabrics easily. Moreover, it assures good-quality results in no time.
The most notable feature of the best sewing machines under 500 is its strong motor speed, with 1,100 stitches per minute. Also, you can even adjust the presser foot pressure according to the fabric in use. Additionally, the tension can also be automatically altered for steady, straight stitching.
Singer 4452 offers great features as well, including the 110 stitch applications, automatic needle threader, easy loading of a bobbin, and an auto 1-step buttonhole. Some other essentials like length and width of stitches, three needle positioning, and presser feet are a few notable mentions.
Features of Singer Heavy Duty 4452
- Auto-needle threader: Effortless needle threading saves time for a quick start.
- Adjustable presser foot: Extra high accommodation and pressure can be adjusted for different fabrics.
- Stitch variety: About 32 built-in stitches for exploring various sewing designs and decorations.
- Lightweight and durable
- Super fast stitching
- Sews various fabrics
- Cheap buttonhole foot
- Bedplate smudging
Why you should buy it?
Depending on your needs, we recommend Singer 4452 as the best sewing machine under 500 dollars; it can sew through all fabric types, whether denim or silk. Also, you can put forth your skills on different projects, including regular stitching, home decor, and garment construction. Furthermore, newbies can easily figure it out and use it highly.
10. Brother Gx37 (Best For Simple And Quick Sewing Projects)
You can test your sewing skills with Brother GX37 if you want. With its 37 built-in stitching patterns, you can sew fabric materials up to 6mm thick, including jeans, quilts, and pillows. Additionally, it is lightweight, and the best thing about this non-computerized machine is that all features are appropriately labeled.
Besides, its most exciting feature is its free arm working. Hence, it aids in stitching handcuffs and sleeves, baby clothes, and other small crafts. In addition, the free arm is used as a storage box for the accessories that come with the machine.
Moreover, some basic add-ons consist of 6 presser feet for different stitches, an automatic needle threader, auto-bobbin winding, a tension dial, a length and width dial, and a lever for reverse sewing. Also, the drop-feed stitching option permits you to fabricate your free-motion stitched designs.
Features of Brother GX37
- Stitching range: 37 built-in stitches that include stretch, zigzag, decorative, and an auto-size buttonhole.
- Auto-threading: Automatically pushes the thread into the needle, giving you a fast start.
- Drop-in top bobbin: Easily set your bobbin from the top, and it works wonderfully smooth.
- Fast stitching
- Printed stitch designs
- Includes DVD and manual
- No start/stop button
- Can’t handle weighty fabric
Why you should buy it?
Brother GX37 is a good recommendation, especially for simple and quick sewing. You will not have any difficulty using it because all the instructions are marked for every feature, which helps in the smooth start of your project. Additionally, Brother GX37 offers several customization options, which makes it one of the best sewing machines under 500 dollars.
11. Brother CS5055 (Best Computerized Sewing Machine For Beginners)
Beginners and experienced sewers can find a complete package sewing machine with Brother CS5055 computerized machine that gives you all-in-one features. Furthermore, you can experience smooth stitching on denim or silk with an excellent feed system. Moreover, this machine has 60 built-in decorative stitches to give creative touches to your projects.
Notably, this quilting machine has a needle fixed in one place when working, giving you a perfectly clean and even stitch. Also, there is a lot of needle-to-arm space for doing bigger sewing work. To increase the ease, the stitch patterns are embedded on the side for easy access.
Some other automatic functions that are the mainstream of this Brother sewing machine include a bobbin winder, needle threading, and cutter, feed dogs, and vertical spool pin. Remember the stitch chart and the presser feet included for different buttonholes.
Features of Brother CS5055
- Range of stitches: Choose from 60 built-in stitches, including utility, decorative, and heirloom stitch functions and 7 1-step auto-size buttonholes.
- Auto-needle threader: Without effort, automatically threads the needle.
- LCD: Shows the selected stitch and preferred presser foot.
- Easy straight stitching
- Simple setup
- Less noisy
- No needle up/down option
- No presser foot lock
Why you should buy it?
Do not hesitate to buy Brother CS5055 as it is well made, reliable, and simple to set up and use right away. In addition, this portable sewing machine gives you a spacy workplace between needle and arm for your huge sewing projects. Moreover, the auto-features of this sewing machine help you save time so you can quickly get your stitch work ready.
12. Singer Mx231 (Best Portable Sewing Machine For Basic Stitching)
Start with the Singer MX231 if you want to learn how to sew because it’s easy to use. Generally, this mechanical sewing machine is best for basic stitching, home decor, pillows, costumes, and garment corrections. Additionally, with 24 unique stitches, you can complete almost all your sewing projects.
Another essential feature is the dial for selecting the stitch. Hence, this dial has options for decorative stitches, straight stitching, zigzag, blind hemming, buttonhole stitches, stretch stitches, and quilting stitches. Adding onto this, you can manually select the appropriate length and width.
Furthermore, other standard features of the best portable sewing machine under 500 are the adjustable presser foot pressure, needle threader, and bobbin loading in the front. With these simple by-hand controls, you can easily accommodate all the settings according to your needs.
Features of SINGER MX231
- Front-load bobbin: Easily insert the bobbin from the front, keeping the upper plate smooth when stitching.
- Presser foot pressure: You can adjust the pressure foot pressure according to the type of fabric material thickness.
- Built-in needle threader: Auto-threader makes threading the needle easy within no time.
- Portable and lightweight
- Usage instructions
- Stitch range of fabrics
- No feed dog raising/lowering lever
- No auto-thread cutter
Why you should buy it?
Ideally, you should buy the Singer MX231 for its good performance and lightweight design. In addition, It is also durable and comes without any maintenance requirements. Also, you can get to sew all the basic stitches overall at a great price tag.
13. Singer M3500 (Best Budget-Friendly Sewing Machine For Beginners)
Singer M3500 is an entry-level and budget-friendly sewing machine for those who want to sew as a starter. Moreover, it offers 32 built-in stitches, including primary, decorative, and stretch varieties for everyday casual household sewing work.
Additionally, this mechanical sewing machine features easy operation, a limited range of features, and manual control.
Further, this high-quality sewing machine provides foot pedal and speed slider options, allowing smooth control over your sewing speed. Also, a stitch selector dial is an important feature for personalizing your sewing work. As an extra, the length, width, and tension dial are additional settings for easy customization.
There are a few other essentials included in the Singer M3500, like the automatic needle threader, auto-bobbin winder, free arm for sewing hems and cuffs, and 1-step buttonhole. Furthermore, the bobbin can be easily loaded from the front, and a reverse lever secures the seam.
Features of SINGER M3500
- Stitching options: Provides 110 stitch options with 4 presser feet for each stitch type.
- Quick, easy threading: Fast threading of your needle eye without difficulty.
- Front bobbin load: Easily wind up your bobbin and insert it, allowing a smooth surface plate.
- Proper lights
- Easy to handle and lightweight
- Optimum stitching variety
- Not good with heavy fabrics
- Jams frequently
Why you should buy it?
It is OK to buy a Singer M3500 for making blankets, bags, or simple regular stitching at home. This mechanical sewing machine allows simple handling and setup, is not too complicated to understand, and is easy to start. Moreover, it comes with all the basic features, such as stitch adjustment, auto-threading, speed control, and reverse lever.
Sewing machines aren’t just for professionals; they’re also for learners who want to get better at sewing. No matter what you’re into, whether it’s embroidery, quilting, stitch crafting, or making dresses, get yourself the best quilting sewing machine under $500. For that, finding the perfect computerized machine that fulfills all the criteria is significant.
Mechanical Vs. Computerized
When buying a sewing machine, you will find either a mechanical or a computerized one. Both work differently, but you can finish with any of these.
- Mechanical machines use mostly knobs and dials, and the settings are to be changed manually. When you change the stitch type, you must set the length, width, and tension by yourself.
- Computerized machines, however, include several buttons and a small screen on the front. As you select the stitch, the machine will automatically suggest the presser foot, length, width, and tension.
Sewing Machine quality
Structure describes the capabilities of the sewing machine and the more metal it uses, the better and larger the projects can be completed, and it can stitch even thicker fabrics.
- Heavier sewing machines that have a metallic construction are higher-quality ones and are the best heavy duty sewing machines.
- Lightweight sewing machines do the job well for simple and intermediate work and are easy to carry around.
Sewing Instrument Types
The features of quilting machines differ according to the type of sewing.
- Quilting and bigger projects require machines with larger bases or extension tables.
- Sewing tube items such as hems, cuffs, trouser legs, sleeves, and other small decorative items is easier with the free arm.
You should always test the functioning of the sewing machine before you get one to know if it is too noisy to work with or better muted. So, if you are a regular everyday sewer, you must prefer a noise-free quilting machine to avoid annoyance.
Looking for the best sewing with a limited amount in your hand can be a great struggle. But a good, high-quality stitching machine, mechanical or computerized, can be found for under $500. Even on a tight budget, you can get a sewing machine that offers multiple creative stitches for different projects and satisfies your needs.
Accessories that come with a particular sewing machine depend on the different types of sewing machines. Some of the main ones that should be included are different stitch needles, appropriate pressure foot, feed dogs, hand wheel, bobbins, thread pin, and reverse lever.
An important consideration when buying a sewing machine is to be fully aware of whether you are getting all the features you need. However, it all depends on your personal preferences and requirements, too.
But there are plenty of reasonable options from these best sewing machines under 500 that promise high-quality results with all the essential accessories included. So, bring all your creative sewing skills to work without worrying about the price tag or compromising quality.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What is the best portable sewing machine under 500 for beginners?
Though it is a personal preference at the entry level, it is preferable to use a manual mechanical machine for new learners. It is so because it is easier to use and understand.
Q2. How long do sewing machines last?
Generally, sewing machines last about 5 years, and if maintained properly, they may go on long enough for 25 years. Regular maintenance increases the machine’s lifespan, while neglecting it may cause it to jam before the time.
Q3. What are the common problems faced when owning a sewing machine?
1. The following are some common sewing machine problems;
2. Needle thread or bobbin thread breakage
3. Thread interlacing when the machine stops
4. Skipped stitches
5. Imbalanced or variable stitching
6. Discontinuous stitching
7. Changed stitch density.
- 9 Best Sewing Machines Under $150
- 5 Best Sewing Machines Under $100 for Beginners
- 12 Best Sewing Machines Under $1000
- Learn How Long Does It Take to Learn How To Sew with a Sewing Machine
- How To Stop Knit Fabric from Curling or Rolling – ( 5 Methods)
- How to make buttonholes with a sewing machine (Ultimate Guide)